Re: Standardizing on IDNA 2003 in the URL Standard

2014-01-16 Anne van Kesteren <annevk@annevk.nl>

> On Thu, Jan 16, 2014 at 11:36 AM, Gervase Markham <gerv@mozilla.org>
> wrote:
> > On 16/01/14 11:17, Anne van Kesteren wrote:
> >> It's not worse if it's fully backwards compatible and mostly
> >> interoperable across all major clients. At that point the standard is
> >> just wrong.
> >
> > And having a standard fixed to Unicode 3.2 is not also "just wrong"?
>
> The point is that in practice, it isn't fixed to Unicode 3.2. I have
> yet to encounter an IDNA2003 implementation that does that. It turns
> out the setup we have in practice is a compatible evolution.

ICU's IDNA 2003 implementation just does that. Before Chrome switched to
UTS 46 a few milestones ago, that's what's used by Chrome.

And, Safari is likely to still use that (well, it depends on Mac OS X's
network API so that its behavior may differ on different OS X/iOS's).

Jungshik