Re: Standardizing on IDNA 2003 in the URL Standard

From: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@annevk.nl>
Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2014 16:26:22 +0000
To: Mark Davis ☕ <mark@macchiato.com>
Cc: John C Klensin <klensin@jck.com>, Vint Cerf <vint@google.com>, IDNA update work <idna-update@alvestrand.no>, "PUBLIC-IRI@W3.ORG" <public-iri@w3.org>, "uri@w3.org" <uri@w3.org>, "www-tag.w3.org" <www-tag@w3.org>
On Sat, Aug 24, 2013 at 1:40 PM, Mark Davis ☕ <mark@macchiato.com> wrote:
> I put out some strawman ideas on this list, but clearly there needs to be
> more discussion. I think everyone recognizes that we won't get to zero
> "breaking" IDNA2003 URLs; the goal should be to get to a small enough number
> that the major players feel comfortable flipping the switch on the remaining
> ones.
>
> Back on Sept 9.

It's been a couple of months. Any updates for us?

Thinks I found not addressed by IDNA2003 that
http://url.spec.whatwg.org/#concept-host-parser papers over:

* Percent-decoding
* Rejecting certain ASCII code points to ensure idempotency, but not
e.g. "_" as that would break sites
* Lowercasing the ASCII code points as IDNA2003 only applies if
there's non-ASCII code point

I have not checked what of that can be removed if we use UTS #46
instead. Certainly referencing IDNA2008 directly does not work, as
"A.com" does not become "a.com", which would presumably break too many
scripts.

--
http://annevankesteren.nl/