Re: math: URI scheme and protocol handler

Gerardo:
This is a great idea -- and the protocol element of URIs is not the correct
vector for executing it.

IMO, the best place for this is as an element: <mathspeak>....</mathspeak>.

An alternative (atho more complex) would be to use the "rel" attribute of
an HTML link: <a rel="mathspeak">...</a>

Just as "rel='stylesheet'" has a special meaning in browsers,
rel="mathspeak" can be used as the launch for a browser plug-in that knows
how to process math expressions. Another reason to use rel="mathspeak" (and
not the protocol element of a link) is that the href value *could* be used
to point to an external address that knows how to process "mathspeak"
strings. IOW, you can support "mathspeak" speech internally (with a
plug-in) or, if no plug-in is available, use the href to point to an
available processor.

Cheers.

mamund
+1.859.757.1449