Re: reviving the file URI scheme

From: Matthew Kerwin <matthew@kerwin.net.au>
Date: Fri, 13 Dec 2013 21:12:05 +1000
To: Marcos Caceres <w3c@marcosc.com>
Cc: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>, John Cowan <cowan@mercury.ccil.org>, uri@w3.org
On 13 December 2013 20:35, Marcos Caceres <w3c@marcosc.com> wrote:

> My point was that the WHATWGís url spec already standardizes file://, so
> Iím trying to understand if there is need for the RCF also? or if the two
> can be somehow merged so we donít end up with duplicate specs.

The WhatWG's URL living standard has rules for parsing a 'file' URI, but
it doesn't have rules for generating one (you could infer them from the
parsing rules, with a bit of creative license) nor does it specify any
semantics for what to do with that URI once you've parsed it (e.g. mapping
it to the filesystem).

It really does read more like a pseudocode reference implementation of the
interesting bits of RFCs 3986, 1738, etc. than a spec, per se.

--
  Matthew Kerwin
  http://matthew.kerwin.net.au/