Re: reviving the file URI scheme

From: John Cowan <cowan@mercury.ccil.org>
Date: Thu, 12 Dec 2013 21:46:19 -0500
To: Marcos Caceres <w3c@marcosc.com>
Cc: Matthew Kerwin <matthew@kerwin.net.au>, uri@w3.org
Marcos Caceres scripsit:

> On Friday, December 13, 2013 at 12:43 AM, John Cowan wrote:
>
> > It's in his bibliography. But like most (all?) WHATWG products, it is a
> > reference implementation, not a standard.
>
> I think you might be confused: a browser is a reference implementation
> (in that you can reference it as attempting to implement a standard); a
> standard is a technical specification that has multiple implementations
> and is overseen by a standardization authority (in this case, the
> WHATWG).

A reference implementation is an implementation that itself constitutes the
standard; if you want to know what the standard prescribes, you fire up
the implementation and try it.  WHATWG standards are written in code
(it would be perfectly feasible to write a compiler for it), and that's
why they are reference implementations.

--
Work hard,                                      John Cowan
play hard,                                      cowan@ccil.org