Re: Standardizing on IDNA 2003 in the URL Standard

From: Mark Davis ☕ <mark@macchiato.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2013 18:01:51 +0200
To: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@annevk.nl>
Cc: John C Klensin <klensin@jck.com>, Marcos Sanz <sanz@denic.de>, Shawn Steele <Shawn.Steele@microsoft.com>, "PUBLIC-IRI@W3.ORG" <public-iri@w3.org>, "uri@w3.org" <uri@w3.org>, Peter Saint-Andre <stpeter@stpeter.im>, IDNA update work <idna-update@alvestrand.no>, Vint Cerf <vint@google.com>, "www-tag.w3.org" <www-tag@w3.org>
> It's also not true for URLs in resources that depend on the mapping to
happen.

TR46 really has 3 parts:

   1. transitional handling for the 4 ambiguous characters
   2. inclusion of symbols
   3. client-side mapping (aka lowercasing)

Parts #1 and #2 are transitional in supporting IDNA2003 on the path to
IDNA2008.

Part #3 (client-side mapping) is something that is permitted by IDNA2008,
and is thus optional for even a fully IDNA2008-compliant implementation.

Mark <https://plus.google.com/114199149796022210033>
*
*
*— Il meglio è l’inimico del bene —*