Re: Standardizing on IDNA 2003 in the URL Standard

From: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@annevk.nl>
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2013 16:45:51 +0100
To: Mark Davis ☕ <mark@macchiato.com>
Cc: John C Klensin <klensin@jck.com>, Marcos Sanz <sanz@denic.de>, Shawn Steele <Shawn.Steele@microsoft.com>, "PUBLIC-IRI@W3.ORG" <public-iri@w3.org>, "uri@w3.org" <uri@w3.org>, Peter Saint-Andre <stpeter@stpeter.im>, IDNA update work <idna-update@alvestrand.no>, Vint Cerf <vint@google.com>, "www-tag.w3.org" <www-tag@w3.org>
On Wed, Aug 21, 2013 at 4:01 PM, Mark Davis ☕ <mark@macchiato.com> wrote:
> I agree with that, and it is the scenario envisioned for TR46. That is, once
> all (significant) registries move to IDNA2008, then then clients can impose
> stricter controls on the characters, excluding the characters that are
> disallowed in IDNA2008. Because the registries will have moved, the number
> of failing URLs would be acceptable.

I doubt that would be true for subdomains. E.g. I know people using
http://☺.example.com/ as domain (forgot whether that particular code
point is excluded, but you get the idea).

It's also not true for URLs in resources that depend on the mapping to
happen. Especially for uppercase/lowercase I would expect that to be
fairly common. And in URLs in resources should remain
locale-insensitive. That they depend on encodings to some extent is
bad enough.

--
http://annevankesteren.nl/