Re: [whatwg] New URL Standard from Anne van Kesteren on 2012-09-24 (public-whatwg-archive@w3.org from September 2012)

From: John C Klensin <john-ietf@jck.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2012 07:38:41 -0400
To: Brian E Carpenter <brian.e.carpenter@gmail.com>, Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net>
cc: IETF Discussion <ietf@ietf.org>, Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>, "Roy T. Fielding" <fielding@gbiv.com>, Jan Algermissen <jan.algermissen@nordsc.com>, Noah Mendelsohn <nrm@arcanedomain.com>, URI <uri@w3.org>, Tim Bray <tbray@textuality.com>, Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>

--On Wednesday, October 24, 2012 11:39 +0100 Brian E Carpenter
<brian.e.carpenter@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 23/10/2012 00:32, Mark Nottingham wrote:
>> The underlying point that people seem to be making is that
>> there's legitimate need for URIs to be a separate concept
>> from "strings that will become URIs." By collapsing them into
>> one thing, you're doing those folks a disservice. Browser
>> implementers may not care, but it's pretty obvious that lots
>> of other people do.
>
> Thanks for bringing this point out. It was explained to me in
> 1993 by TBL and Robert Cailliau that URLs (the only term used
> then, I think) should never be typed in by a user, and
> preferably never even seen by a user. It's because that
> doctrine was abandoned a year or so later that we have this
> problem today. I think there would be value in a document
> making this clear, as a framework for clearly separating the
> specification of what is allowable as a URI on the wire from
> what is acceptable as a user input string (UIS?).
>
> UIS to URI conversion may well end up as a heuristic algorithm.

Very useful perspective, IMO.

Seen that way, IRIs might then be considered a different flavor
of UIS.  Less heuristic than some, but not a flavor of URI.

best,
   john