Re: [whatwg] New URL Standard from Anne van Kesteren on 2012-09-24 (public-whatwg-archive@w3.org from September 2012)

On Oct 24, 2012, at 12:43 AM, Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch> wrote:

> On Tue, 23 Oct 2012, Jan Algermissen wrote:
>> On Oct 23, 2012, at 11:34 PM, Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch> wrote:
>>>
>>> Let's in fact try: Hi guys, we need to fix STD 66 because it doesn't
>>> define error handling.
>>
>> Help me, I am just not getting it:
>>
>> Why do you insist on 'fixing STD 66'?
>>
>> What is the reason you are not willing to reframe the problem to 'fixing
>> how we get from the provided string -the input to the reference
>> construction process- to a STD-66-valid result'?
>
> Because that's not a good way to write specs. Implementors shouldn't have
> to read three separate specs to implement one algorithm. The definition
> for Base64 isn't spread into tree separate RFCs. You don't put the HTML
> parser in a different spec than the HTML elements.
>
> A spec for this kind of thing should define the following:

Then, how about going from 'fixing STD 66' to

'augmenting STD 66 with how we get from the provided string -the input to the reference construction process- to a valid URI'?

(Personally, I do not see any problems with having one spec defining the valid output and one spec defining how to get from input to valid output. But that is a discussion that can be easily separated from the current one.)

What matters is that nothing of the existing URI spec *changes*.

Can you agree on that?

Jan