Re: [whatwg] New URL Standard from Anne van Kesteren on 2012-09-24 (public-whatwg-archive@w3.org from September 2012)

On Tue, 23 Oct 2012, Ted Hardie wrote:

> Unless you get buy-in from the community that produced RFC 3986 and RFC
> 3987, the production of this document *will* result in a fork, and that
> is damaging to the Internet.

I'm trying to work with y'all to see how we can update these specs instead
of having to do it elsewhere.

> I urge you to pick a different term (several far more useful ones than
> fleen have been suggested) and avoid this needless conflict.

What term we use isn't going to have any effect on whether it harms the
Internet. If curl decides it should use WHATWGRLs or whatever and wget
decides it should use IRIs or whatever, and the specs aren't compatible,
then wget and curl won't interoperate.

Then again, they already don't interoperate -- that's the problem we're
trying to fix -- so maybe the fork won't harm the Internet any more than
STD 66 already is. Might even help matters, if curl and wget both decide
to follow the WHATWGRLs spec (or whatever), instead of STD 66, and as a
result start interoperating.

$ curl 'http://example.com/a b' # fetches "/a b" from example.com
$ wget 'http://example.com/a b' # fetches "/a%20b" from example.com