Re: [whatwg] New URL Standard from Anne van Kesteren on 2012-09-24 (public-whatwg-archive@w3.org from September 2012)

On 2012-10-22 19:55, Ian Hickson wrote:
> On Mon, 22 Oct 2012, Brian E Carpenter wrote:
>>>
>>> Um, true... but it's also the case that the implementation community
>>> hasn't over the years been doing as much as might be best to make
>>> reality match the specifications. The new specs we're writing now
>>> would like have been a lot thinner and cleaner if they had.
>>
>> However, I think the concern here is that if certain IETF specs need to
>> be updated to match the real world, that work needs to be done in the
>> IETF.
>
> I couldn't agree more! We've been waiting for four years for the URI
> working group to get their act together and fix the URL mess. Nothing has
> happened. We lost patience and are now doing it ourselves.

Clarifying: there is no URI Working Group, and as far as I can tell,
there is no consensus that there is a "mess" to fix related to URIs.
There *is* indeed a *IRI* Working Group which planned to define things
that occur in HTML links (including sanitizing whitespace and dealing
with the problems with non-ASCII characters), and *that* WG indeed
hasn't delivered yet.

Best regards, Julian