Re: [whatwg] New URL Standard from Anne van Kesteren on 2012-09-24 (public-whatwg-archive@w3.org from September 2012)

On Mon, 24 Sep 2012, Peter Saint-Andre wrote:

> It's also not clear to me what the WHATWG HTML Living Standard [1]
> really means by "willful violation"
> http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/multipage/introduction.html#willful-violation

Can you elaborate on how the definition you cite there in the spec is
unclear? I'm not sure how to make it clearer.

> e.g., is it just an allowance for APIs and browser software to not be
> completely strict about processing some input for the sake of backward
> compatibility with existing (messy) web content, or is it an active
> attempt at redefining core protocols?

The spec seems pretty clear that it's the latter ("conflicting needs have
led to this specification violating the requirements of these other
specifications").

> However, it is interesting that the willful violations are not limited
> to RFC 3986: the spec also mentions willful violations of RFC 2046, RFC
> 2616, RFC 2781, RFC 5322, EcmaScript, XPath, XSLT, and Unicode. Quite a
> list...

Yeah. Turns out we (the Web standards community) haven't been doing such a
great job of making our specificatiosn match reality. :-(