Re: Status of RFC 1738 -- 'ftp' URI scheme

From: John Cowan <cowan@mercury.ccil.org>
Date: Thu, 6 Jan 2011 11:36:23 -0500
To: Charles Lindsey <chl@clerew.man.ac.uk>
Cc: URI <uri@w3.org>
Charles Lindsey scripsit:

> If the authority identifies a host (e.g. e domain name with a A record,
> or some local name known from /etc/hosts)

Well, Internet Explorer interprets file://foo/bar/baz as the UNC name
\\foo\bar\baz, which strikes me as extremely sensible, and I wish every
browser on Windows did it.   (Chrome does, Firefox doesn't.)  Technically
"foo" is not a hostname but the published name of an externally exposed
portion of a file tree.

> then the question is whether the open command in that host understands
> "blah-blah-blah".

No doubt, but how does one find out?  Lynx uses anonymous FTP if the
hostname is not empty or "localhost"; is that conformant, given that
anonymous FTP typically has its own root?

--
John Cowan  cowan@ccil.org  http://ccil.org/~cowan
The penguin geeks is happy / As under the waves they lark