RE: Status of RFC 1738 -- 'ftp' URI scheme

Mykyta Yevstifeyev
> Sent: Friday, 31 December, 2010 00:17
> To: Ira McDonald
> Cc: John Cowan; Charles Lindsey; URI

> Currently, all of them (except afs, mailserver and tn3270) have
> been specified or moved to Historic. ... So I think now it's time
> to discuss if it should be moved to Historic either.
>
> Maybe (2) seems more acceptable for me. Has anyone seen the Andrew
> File System wide-spread among the Internet? As I know, it was an
> experimental effort of Carnegie Mellon University and I really do
> not neither know any public-available resources hat can be
> accessed by such a scheme nor clients for it.

AFS is not just an experimental system, and not used just at CMU. It was
used at a number of universities and businesses in production, and sold
as a product by Transarc (now part of IBM). When I worked at IBM in the
late '80s and early '90s we used it, for example.

MIT's Project Athena ran a good-sized AFS cell. As far as I know it's
still in use; MIT is still hosting pages about it.[1]

OpenAFS [2] is available for several platforms, and is active. There
were 35 messages on its announce list last year.

Some casual searching suggests there are at least a few public AFS
resources.

I don't know whether there are any clients that support afs-scheme URLs.

[1] See for example http://ist.mit.edu/services/web/afs/about.
[2] http://openafs.org/

--
Michael Wojcik
Principal Software Systems Developer, Micro Focus

This message has been scanned for viruses by MailController - www.MailController.altohiway.com