Re: backronym proposal: Universal Resource Linker

From: Sandro Hawke <sandro@w3.org>
Date: Sun, 18 Apr 2010 20:39:17 -0400
To: "John A. Kunze" <jak@ucop.edu>
cc: uri@w3.org

> > Confusion will still reign as long as people mistake "L" for location --
> > which this proposal does not address
>
> Sorry, I was very unclear there.  Dan's proposal addresses it squarely.
>
> The "it" I had in mind, for those non-mind-readers on the list, was
> people's tendency to become irrational when seeing the word Locator.
> And the proposal would definitely help reduce that risk.

I don't think it's productive to be afraid of other people's potential
irrationality.

It seems simple enough to tell people: If a URI is designed for
dereferencing, it's a URL.  (And since most people only deal with such
URIs, they only deal with URLs.)

Or is the proposal to say that tag: and mailto: and mid: URIs would also
be Uniform Resource Linkers (URLs)?

     -- Sandro