Re: backronym proposal: Universal Resource Linker

From: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
Date: Sun, 18 Apr 2010 20:32:25 +0200
To: "John A. Kunze" <jak@ucop.edu>
CC: Dan Brickley <danbri@danbri.org>, uri@w3.org, Tim Berners-Lee <timbl@w3.org>
On 18.04.2010 20:02, John A. Kunze wrote:
> --- On Sun, 18 Apr 2010, Dan Brickley wrote:
>> ... I propose a simple-minded fix: restore 'URL' as the most
>> general term for Web identifiers,
>
> Yep. I've always avoided the word "URI" except when politics required it.
>
>> and re-interpret 'URL' as "Universal Resource Linker".
>
> Not bad at all. Think how much time and treasure would have been saved
> if the word "Locator" (too close to "location") hadn't been part of URL.

I think everybody agrees that there's a lot of confusion about URI vs
URL vs URN, and also URI vs IRI, not to mention Web Adresseses or LEIRIs.

That being said, I really doubt that redefining the term will actually
reduce the confusion. What's needed (IMHO) is stability and consistency.

Best regards, Julian