Re: URI Templates: done or dead?

From: John Cowan <cowan@ccil.org>
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2008 18:42:28 -0400
To: "Phillips, Addison" <addison@amazon.com>
Cc: John Cowan <cowan@ccil.org>, "Roy T. Fielding" <fielding@gbiv.com>, Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net>, URI <uri@w3.org>, Joe Gregorio <joe@bitworking.org>, David Orchard <orchard@pacificspirit.com>, Marc Hadley <Marc.Hadley@Sun.COM>

Phillips, Addison scripsit:

> However, my point is that the variable names themselves (the "key" side)
> are not necessarily restricted to "ASCII only" in real life... the
> programming language may be JS, perl, python, Java, etc., which
> permit non-ASCII variable names or keys.

I should think that actual implementations will not, in most cases,
have access to variable names in the underlying programming language,
but will accept a map/hash/dictionary containing name-value pairs.
It's not much of a restriction to require these names to be ASCII
(I realize I'm being a Neanderthal here), and it makes it easy to
explain the character repertoire of URI Templates:  ASCII in, ASCII out.

--
John Cowan   cowan@ccil.org   http://ccil.org/~cowan
I must confess that I have very little notion of what [s. 4 of the British