Re: [rest-discuss] RE: [whatwg] Proposing URI Templates for WebForms 2.0

Eric and Mike,

I am not convinced that URI templates will reduce that disparity. The
point I was trying to make yesterday was that, when these servers
become the same, the server will be using a media type like HTML, and
hence will have to follow the same techniques that HTML clients follow
*today*. So, IMHO, the argument for templates should be discussed on
its own merits for HTML.

Subbu

On Nov 4, 2008, at 11:45 PM, Mike Schinkel wrote:

> Well said; I concur with this analysis and this goal completely.
> Adding URI
> Template support to HTML forms reduces the disparity between what
> can be
> done with a "website" and what must be done with an "RESTful API
> server" per
> se.
>
> There ideally should be as little technical difference between the
> two where
> the client is given the option to view it as it may. Without URI
> Template
> support HTML forms will continue to be 2nd class citizen when
> compared to
> other solutions for interacting with REST-based web services.
>
> While this hadn't been part of my original reason for request URI
> Template
> support in HTML forms it's now clear it is probably a more important
> justification than my original. Thanks Erik.

---
http://subbu.org