Re: URIs in HTML5 and issues arising

On Mon, 30 Jun 2008, Sam Ruby wrote:

> A concrete example: the RSS 2.0 specs use the term "URL"

So that we're on the same page, could you provide a URL to the spec(s) in
question?

> If I understand correctly, HTML5 will allow the following in content,
> and will expect that all comformant HTML5 consumers will be able to
> process it interoperably:

> It is not currently the case that RSS 2.0 allows the following in
> content, and it most assuredly is not the case that conformant RSS 2.0
> comsumers process it interoperably:
>
>   <enclosure url="http://www.?Õ¨»Û.com/atomtests/iri/?.mp3"/>

That's unfortunate. Why wouldn't that be allowed?

If it's not allowed, how does RSS 2.0 say that it should be processed?

How is the term "URL" defined in RSS 2.0? Is the term used in its RFC3986
definition? (i.e. is the intention really to exclude URNs?)

> Question: is there a change to the HTML5 spec which could reduce this
> confusion?  Alternately, would it be possible to work with Harvard
> and/or the RSS Advisory review board to reduced confusion?

I would be very happy to work with either or both of the above.