Re: URIs in HTML5 and issues arising

public-html-request@w3.org wrote on 06/29/2008 05:20:03 PM:

> > > It was pointed out that "HTML URL" would also be misleading, since
> > > there are already spec writers looking to use these definitions
> > > elsewhere.
> >
> > Not sure why this means it can't be called "HTML URL".
>
> Because it would be even more confusing to have non-HTML specs talk about

> their URLs being HTML URLs.

I'm not sure I see that, but I will say that use on the unqualified term
"URL" will be confusing.  A concrete example: the RSS 2.0 specs use the
term "URL" (and in the case of documenting the enclosure element, "http
url", though in the latter case I assume that that means a uri with a
scheme of 'http'.

If I understand correctly, HTML5 will allow the following in content, and
will expect that all comformant HTML5 consumers will be able to process it
interoperably:

It is not currently the case that RSS 2.0 allows the following in content,
and it most assuredly is not the case that conformant RSS 2.0 comsumers
process it interoperably:

  <enclosure url="http://www.?姆斯.com/atomtests/iri/?.mp3"/>

Question: is there a change to the HTML5 spec which could reduce this
confusion?  Alternately, would it be possible to work with Harvard and/or
the RSS Advisory review board to reduced confusion?

- Sam Ruby