Re: Error handling in URIs

On Wed, 25 Jun 2008, John Cowan wrote:
> Ian Hickson scripsit:
>
> > I need a term to use in the HTML5 spec which means "a string used to
> > identify a resource", and which can then be defined to be valid if it
> > matches the conditions listed above. The term has to be one that authors
> > would immediately recognise as being intended to be URI-like, yet without
> > conflicting with existing definitions. If you disagree with the use of the
> > term "URL" for this purpose, do you have any alternative suggestions?
>
> How about HTML Resource Identifier, or HRI?

I think that the confusion of introducing a new term would be greater than
the confusion of reusing URL. People intuitively know what a "URL"
basically is, and they know what an "address" is. They don't know what an
"HRI" is and I think that would work against the readability of the spec.
(This is especially important for this particular term since it appears
all over the place in HTML5.)