Re: Error handling in URIs

On Tue, 24 Jun 2008, Julian Reschke wrote:

> There is nothing that needs to be fixed in the URI spec.
>
> If other specs accept invalid URIs, then those specs also need to define
> how to do that.
>
> [...] But again, that's not a problem with URI or IRI, right?

I don't really care to play the blame game. This needs to be defined
somewhere; for now I'm putting it in the HTML5 spec. This thread just
started because I mentioned in IRC that my life would be easier if someone
had done this for me in another spec, and you suggested that maybe there
was a chance that the URI and IRI specs could be modified to handle these
needs. If they are, then that would be great; otherwise, then that's fine
too. In the meantime, though, this still needs to be defined somewhere,
and in the absence of someone else doing it, I'll continue it doing it
myself in HTML5.