Re: Error handling in URIs

On Tue, Jun 24, 2008 at 8:18 AM, Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de> wrote:

> I totally agree that if several specs share the same problem, the solution
> should be written down in a single place. That being said, I still don't see
> why it would be good to do in the IRI spec itself.

Well Hixie identified one place that could use help, the HTML5 spec.
Do we believe that in general, the behavior appropriate for an HTML
User-Agent is appropriate for other classes of clients?  Or is what
we're looking at a more general case where the URI might have been
typed in by a human, and we're specifying workarounds for the kinds of
problems that might introduce?

I guess I'm following up Julian by asking if in fact several specs
share the same need.

Also, I'm not enthusiastic about writing standards unless
there's an obvious pain point that needs to be addressed.  If the
implementors are in general doing the right thing in a compatible way,
is any further spec work required?

 -Tim