RE: non-http uris

Quoting Mike Schinkel <mikeschinkel@gmail.com>:
> Erik Wilde wrote:
>> and i do note that nobody so far was able to point to a case
>> where such a magig "uri scheme" based on a fixed http-based
>> prefix has been deployed successfuly. i think there is a
>> reason for that.
> I pointed several out in prior emails. Purl, for example.  Wikipedia is
> another.  And several more that escape me at the moment.  Why do you not
> acknowledge them?  Or at least challenge their applicability.

wikipedia and purl uris identify information resources on the purl and
wikipedia web servers. they do not identify resources that are by
nature not information resources, and are not "hosted" by a particular
provider. none of the examples listed so far are what i would be
interested to learn about, if such a thing exists:

- some magic http prefix intended to identify resources which by their
nature are not information resources.

- various independent web pages using this prefix and handling it in
essence as a "uri scheme".

- some organization defining, maintaining, and documenting such an
http-prefixed uri scheme which could have been a non-http-scheme, but
has been made a http-prefixed scheme because people thought it would be
better to handle it this way.

so, i am really curious to find out whether something like that really exists.

cheers,

dret.