Re: uriparser 0.5.2 released (and sharing URI test materials)

From: Sebastian Pipping <webmaster@hartwork.org>
Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2007 16:22:01 +0200
To: Dan Connolly <connolly@w3.org>
CC: uriparser-devel@lists.sourceforge.net, uri@w3.org

Dan Connolly wrote:
> I'm curious about motivations behind it.
> I read GOALS.txt, but it seems to be more about
> coding conventions than motivations.

For my XSPF playlist handling library libSpiff [1]
I needed a strictly RFC 3986 conforming URI parser
written in C or C++.

What I found was either implementing an older RFC
(like libURI [2] and and I think uri [3] as well) or
was not mature enough (uriparser before the rewrite).
That plus the need for wchar_t support and a BSD-style
license... so I tried to fill that gap my own.

> Also... I see test materials adapted from 4suite...
> http://cvs.4suite.org/viewcvs/4Suite/test/Lib/test_uri.py?rev=1.34&view=markup
>
> It seems a shame that each test is manually migrated from
> python to C. It would be nice if we could share test data...
> in N3 or JSON or XML format or something and just write
> code in each language to parse the test data.

Good idea!

> Ah... your project is already linked from the UriTesting wiki topic.
>   http://esw.w3.org/topic/UriTesting
> Looks like Mike Brown added it.

Cool! :-)

Sebastian