Re: URI Templates - optional variables?

To jump in for a second (agreeing with at least half the people on this
thread):

One of the big wins I think we got with the OpenSearch URL templates was
their readability, and write-ability, for humans without tools.

Consider this:

  http://example.com/search?q={searchTerms}&num={count}<http://example.com/search?q=%7BsearchTerms%7D&num=%7Bcount%7D>

Quick -- tell me what that template describes.  I bet you can.  And I bet
you could create one by hand.

Granted Joe's proposed URL template specification is far more general in its
expressiveness.  But it is also already starting to feel overly complex.  If
it gets even more complex I'm afraid we'll have lost most of the audience of
real people who build the bulk of the world's web applications.

My feeling these days is if I need a tool to help me parse/understand
something, I best move on to something that can better fit inside my limited
brain.

-DeWitt