Re: URI Templates - optional variables?

Am 16.10.2007 um 03:47 schrieb Roy T. Fielding:

> On Oct 15, 2007, at 6:03 PM, Mark Nottingham wrote:
>> On 16/10/2007, at 10:11 AM, Roy T. Fielding wrote:
>>
>>> I think it is critical to limit the potential operations to
>>> typical string operations, both for simplicity of implementation
>>> and also for our capacity to understand the template without
>>> needing to refer to external rules or processing.  There is no
>>> reason to have URI templates if we don't limit them to a
>>> declarative syntax
>>
>> Agreed; I didn't mean to imply anything else. My concern was more
>> that we'd be able to cover the diversity of use cases we've heard
>> about (much less hadn't come across yet) with a reasonably-sized
>> library of operators in one go.
>
> I was actually responding to Stefan's suggestion that we include
> function names for arbitrarily namespaced actions.  If we are trying
> to solve a declarative problem, we need to stick to self-descriptive
> solutions.

I can accept that. However I see as consequence that extension to the
"self-descriptive" solution would be counter-productive. That means
the predefined set should be quite complete.

Ceterum censeo: in my view the templates would benefit from an easier
readable syntax.

--
Stefan Eissing

<green/>bytes GmbH