Re: file: URIs without host

Previous discussion in this direction led to a hotly debated, expired I-D [1]
and a wiki that never saw much participation [2].

IIRC, the I-D merely extracted the 'file' scheme text from RFC 1738 with no
changes, and only came into existence because someone didn't like the fact
that RFC 1738 is hanging around in a partially-"obsoleted" state; it seemed
like it'd be simple enough to just spin off RFCs for the handful of schemes
that RFC 1738 is still authoritative for.

The draft was contentious for a couple of reasons: Republishing the same text
in a separate RFC doesn't feel like a good idea, since there's consensus that
the text is not really up to par; and there are different points of view on
how descriptive and how prescriptive it should be, if rewritten. I also came
up with a lot of hard-to-answer questions re: character encoding and the
different levels of abstraction of the resources being identified.

When the topic of file URIs came up on IEBlog, I asked Microsoft to
participate on the mailing list and wiki. I got a positive response
but never followed up on it. I think they may be lurking here.

I think the reason interest died off so easily is mainly just because there
really isn't an urgent need for a standard to be hammered out. It's only once
in a blue moon when someone goes looking for the spec and finds that it's
basically a useless blurb in RFC 1738, then goes on to figure out they could
do all right without it anyway. I do think it would be nice to get this going
again, but only if there's a real need for it. Interest exists, but it's more
"it would scratch this bureaucratic itch I have to see precise specs" than
"this is holding me up."

At any rate, the wiki is still open; feel free to use it. You just need
to create an account to make any changes.

-Mike

[1] Paul Hoffman, Aug. 2004; check this list's archives around then
[2] http://offset.skew.org/wiki/URI/File_scheme