Re: policy question on URI specs (from sms: discussion)

Hello Larry, Erik, others,

Looking at Erik's lecture notes, and at
http://h3h.net/2007/01/designing-urls-for-multilingual-web-sites/
linked from there, I have to in general agree with Larry, but I
definitely wouldn't want to make this a policy question, more
a matter of good design.

At the above URI, Erik writes: "The w3c publishes all kinds of documents
about how to use markup to identify languages, but as far as i can see
is silent on the issue of how to design uris for multilingual resources."

This is true, and I guess I'm to some extent responsible for this.
Providing some overview (here are the various different ways to do
this) in some outreach material would make a lot of sense, and
maybe this already has been done; I'm cc'ing Richard Ishida,
who now leads the I18N Activity and in particular the related
outreach efforts at W3C.

However, it would be/have been a very bad idea for the W3C
to come up with "THE" way to encode language into URIs.
Different content providers have different needs. Using different
TLDs, different lower level domain labels, extensions, path
components, or whatever all depend on various technical
(what server you use,...) and operational issues. The best
solution is to use language negotiation for the problem of
providing different language versions of the same document
(in cases where parallel versions actually exist; often,
the whole Web site might be totally redesigned for a different
language/culture/market).

Also, once you start with language, there is no limit to other
parameters that one might want to include in an URI. A rathole.

Regards,   Martin.