Re: URI and IRI Templating - encoding defaults

I think pre-defining, but not mandating their use, would be helpful.

However, it's going to be tricky, because the form processor will
have to figure out which rules to use based upon a) the URI scheme in
use, and b) any "local" rules in place (in HTML4, this is supposed to
be determined by the enctype attribute on the form).

It would be pretty easy to cover the common case (HTTP + application/
x-www-form-urlencoded), but getting interop on anything not covered
would be more problematic. I guess it would have to fall back to the
default -- nothing beyond non-URI characters -- but that's not a
terribly satisfying answer. Some sort of encoding attribute on each
variable declaration, e.g.,

<input type="text" name="foo" urlenc="query"/>

(using HTML4 forms as an example, I'm not familiar with the current
state of 5) could work -- especially if the attribute's contents were
extensible (e.g., with URIs).