Re: JavaScript implementation of RFC 3986 / STD 66 URI ref resolution

From: Mike Brown <mike@skew.org>
Date: Thu, 4 Jan 2007 13:14:58 -0700 (MST)
To: Dan Connolly <connolly@w3.org>
CC: Mike Brown <mike@skew.org>, uri@w3.org

Dan Connolly wrote:
> Have you seen this one? I'm not sure if it works in IE.
>   http://dig.csail.mit.edu/2005/ajar/ajaw/uri.js
>
> but it comes with tests.
> http://dig.csail.mit.edu/2005/ajar/ajaw/test/uri-test-doc.html

I hadn't seen that one; thanks. It does work in IE, but I ran it through a
more comprehensive set of test cases and it failed on a number of them: 56 out
of 186 combinations. Is there anyone maintaining that code? I could provide a
list of cases that fail.

I think I've got my RegExp problem sorted out and have a fully conformant
implementation coded now. It was easier to solve than I thought. The problem
was related to the fact that IE's RegExp engine doesn't differentiate between
empty and missing groups -- e.g., "abc" vs regular expression "abc(d?)(e)?"
results in a match but with both groups being empty strings, rather than one
being undefined.

I'll post my version somewhere soon.