RE: URI registries and schemes

Mike Schinkel writes:

> However, I was never able to actually find a definititive statement
> of TAGs position on an HTTP URL identifying a physical place or
> person.  Can you impose on you to give me your best synopsis and/or
> a URL to the most representative email on the mailing list?  Thanks
> in advance.

Sure.  The TAG tracked this issue under the name httpRange-14.  We've
switched issue tracking systems in the meantime.  Our old system tracked
the issue at [1], and our new tracker-based system follows up at [2].  As
recorded in [1], the TAG agreed the following on 15 June 2005:

====

The TAG provides advice to the community that they may mint "http" URIs
for any resource provided that they follow this simple rule for the sake
of removing ambiguity:

    * If an "http" resource responds to a GET
      request with a 2xx response, then the
      resource identified by that URI is an
      information resource;
    * If an "http" resource responds to a GET
      request with a 303 (See Other) response,
      then the resource identified by that URI
      could be any resource;
    * If an "http" resource responds to a GET
      request with a 4xx (error) response,
      then the nature of the resource is
      unknown.

====

Fielding, who was at the time a member of the TAG.

Noah

[1] http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/issues.html?type=1#httpRange-14
[2] http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/group/track/issues/14
[3] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-tag/2005Jun/0039