Re: URI Templates - optional variables?

From: Stefan Eissing <stefan.eissing@greenbytes.de>
Date: Thu, 2 Aug 2007 00:30:55 +0200
Cc: uri@w3.org
To: Marc Hadley <Marc.Hadley@Sun.COM>

Am 01.08.2007 um 19:02 schrieb Marc Hadley:
> I'd be interested to hear more about the use case for a URI
> template that behaves in this way. E.g. I'd expect that:
>
> http://www.example.com/
> http://www.example.com/foo/
>
> would identify two quite different resources, whereas:
>
> http://www.example.com/foo/
> http://www.example.com/bar/
>
> *could* identify two instances of particular kind of resource. I'd
> like to understand what is the planned use for a URI template that
> can resolve to either of the first pair - why wouldn't you use two
> different URI templates ?

I cannot speak for Mike. What I can see as use case would be a
template describing a site's structure like

http://www.example.com/pictures/{user?}/{theme?}/

which is then used to generate

http://www.example.com/pictures/dan/cars/ - all of dan's car pics
http://www.example.com/pictures/dan/ - all of dan's pics

and maybe even

http://www.example.com/pictures/ - all of pics of all users

Of course this could also be done by using query parameters, but
without the uris are easier to remember. I hope this explains it a bit.

--
Stefan Eissing

<green/>bytes GmbH
Hafenweg 16