Re: URI Templates - optional variables?

From: Marc Hadley <Marc.Hadley@Sun.COM>
Date: Wed, 01 Aug 2007 13:02:28 -0400
To: Stefan Eissing <stefan.eissing@greenbytes.de>
Cc: uri@w3.org

On Aug 1, 2007, at 11:24 AM, Stefan Eissing wrote:

> So Mike's request to have a way to map to outcome B.) is not solved
> by path normalization. Since both "http://www.example.com/" and
> "http://www.example.com//" are valid URIs and not equivalent under
> any definition, it needs an extra modifier like the '?' to express
> the difference to a template parser.

I'd be interested to hear more about the use case for a URI template
that behaves in this way. E.g. I'd expect that:

http://www.example.com/
http://www.example.com/foo/

would identify two quite different resources, whereas:

http://www.example.com/foo/
http://www.example.com/bar/

*could* identify two instances of particular kind of resource. I'd
like to understand what is the planned use for a URI template that
can resolve to either of the first pair - why wouldn't you use two
different URI templates ?

Thanks,
Marc.

---