Re: URI's for processes, stocks, file hashes, UPC's, etc..

On 9/18/06, Stan James <sjames@uni-osnabrueck.de> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> My company (www.lijit.com) allows people to enter comments about URI's.
> Till now we've only had commenting about URL's, but we have tools now
> for handling comments on stock symbols, UPC/GTIN codes, and file hashes.
> The question then is how to encode these in URI's.
>
> Others have suggested building off our company URL, eg:
> http://www.lijit.com/stocks/nasdaq/GOOG
> but this won't work because we want this to be an open standard that
> other people can use without tying everything back to us.
>
> I'm thinking of something like:
>
> stocks
> security://nasdaq/stock/GOOG

What about;

http://quotes.nasdaq.com/asp/SummaryQuote.asp?selected=GOOG&symbol=GOOG

> UPC/GTIN
> gtin://97807868684494

It would be nice to have, e.g.

http://gtin.info/numbers/97807868684494

> file hash:
> hash://sha-1/2fd4e1c67a2d28fced849ee1bb76e7391b93eb12

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnet:_URI_scheme

It's not a registered scheme, but p2p software generally supports it.

I'll see what I can do about getting it registered; this is the third
time I've mentioned it in the past few weeks.

Mark.