Re: 4395 historical schemes

From: Ted Hardie <hardie@qualcomm.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2006 10:18:53 -0700
To: Frank Ellermann <nobody@xyzzy.claranet.de>, uri@w3.org

At 5:27 PM +0200 10/27/06, Frank Ellermann wrote:
>Hi, if an URI scheme x is related to a protocol y using port z, and
>if there's an almost identical scheme sx using y over SSL port sz,
>is it a good idea to register scheme sx as "historical" in the IANA
>consideration of a revised x spec. ?
>
>I have some necessary pieces (x, y, z, sx, sz) plus an old I-D for
>sx (= snews) plus a new RFC (4642) declaring sz (563) as bad idea.
>
>RFC 4395 says in chapter 4 "In some circumstances, it is appropriate
>to note a URI scheme that was once in use", and from that I _guess_
>that it's in many cases not appropriate.
>
>Frank

Frank,
	This is largely up to the person doing the registration
and the URI reviewer, but my personal take is that if someone
is likely to run into scheme sx in the wild, then adding a pointer
to it to the registry is a good thing.  That makes it possible for
those checking the registry to avoid clashes to avoid sx.
			regards,
				Ted