Re: Template URIs vs. URIs

From: <noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2006 11:47:14 -0400
To: "Mark Baker" <distobj@acm.org>
Cc: "Roy T. Fielding" <fielding@gbiv.com>, uri@w3.org

Mark Baker writes:

> If that were the case, I would agree.  But the draft suggests that it
> could be used as a protocol;
>
> "URI Templates can also be thought of as the basis of a
> machine-readable forms language; by allowing clients to form
> their own identifiers based on templates given to them by the
> URI's authority, it's possible to construct dynamic systems
> that use more of the URI than traditional HTML forms are able to."

Yes. This is more by way of an aside in case anyone's interested, but the
draft TAG Finding "The use of Metadata in URIs" [1] has a section
discussing the publication by a resource authority of documentation for a
class of URIs for related resources.  While the examples focus on HTML
forms and XML Forms, I think the general discussion applies equally to a
situation in which "clients ... form their own identifiers based on [URI]
templates given to them by the URI's authority".  BTW, the draft should go
to approved finding status, gee, any week now (section 2.8 is going to be
redrafted before we make it final).

Noah

[1] http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/doc/metaDataInURI-31.html
[2] http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/doc/metaDataInURI-31.html#forms