Re: Feedback on draft-gregorio-uritemplate-00

I most definitely do NOT want to turn this into a schema language for
URIs.  What I want is a sequence of characters in the { } 's that are
opaque to the template processor but meaningful to the application
context supplying the values.

Mark said:
> I appreciate the attraction of putting the datatype in the template,
> but consider the situation if you leave it outside. Every use of URI
> Templates is going to have to define the semantics and processing of
> each variable name somewhere else anyway; they'll have to say "'a' is
> the username, and should be at most 8 characters long...".  Since
> there needs to be external information like this anyway, putting the
> encoding information there as well is the simplest, most flexible
> approach that hits the 80% case.

+1.

In my own experimentation, I've implemented template value resolvers
that are based on simple name, XPath and regex patterns expressed in
template names, e.g.,

  {abc}
  {/a/b/c[@foo]}
  {\d+}

I was able to get this implemented with very few problems and still see
a tremendous amount of potential value in broadening the range of
characters allowed in a template-name so that we can do these types of
things.  However, the current definition is a compromise for the sake of
simplicity and readability that I think is very important.  When we
start trying to embed data typing, default values, encoding rules, etc
directly in the { }'s, simplicity and readability go right out the window.

- James