Re: Rolled up Feedback on draft-gregorio-uritemplate-00

Comments below...

Joe Gregorio wrote:
> [snip]
> 1. template variables should not span segments
> 2. mandate a utf-8 encoding

+1 to both points.

> [snip]
> So that leads to escaping the values substituted for variables.
> I read over the ABNF in RFC 3986 and I think the following
> algorithm will produce the 'right' results, and by 'right' I mean
> the it will produce a valid URI and at the same time the results
> won't be suprising:
>
> 1. Start with a 'string' for each variable value, and by 'string'
>   I mean a series of unicode characters.
> 2. encode that string as 'utf-8'
> 3. %-encode each octet not in:

Why remove '&' and '=' ?  Doing so means I am forced to template each
query string parameter individually (e.g. ?foo={foo}&bar={bar}) .  That
seems unnecessarily restrictive.

I would agree, however, that having some language that processors should
be aware of the potential issues with query strings.

- James