Re: Rolled up Feedback on draft-gregorio-uritemplate-00

From: James M Snell <jasnell@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 09 Nov 2006 14:55:08 -0800
To: Marc Hadley <Marc.Hadley@Sun.COM>
CC: Joe Gregorio <joe@bitworking.org>, uri@w3.org

Marc Hadley wrote:
>[snip]
>>   name = joe.gregorio
>>   mailto:{name}@gmail.com
>>
>> expands to:
>>
>>   joe.gregorio@gmail.com
>>
> But you can't have mailto:{address} which seems a little unfortunate.

Yes, I think this is a problem also.  At the very least, allow unencoded
@'s in the variable value.

> Another concern if we eliminate segment spanning variables is how to
> define a template for something like
>
> http://example.com/webdav_root/{path}
>
> where {path} is some arbitrary path on a WebDAV server.

I can definitely understand the desire to do this but I think the need
to keep things simple should take precedence.  spanning segments is
problematic at best.

> that the spec should require at least one reserved character between
> template variables since, in the general case, its impossible to work
> out the values of the template variables after substitution. E.g. given
> the template
>
> http://example.com/{foo}{bar}
>
> and the URI
>
> http://example.com/xyzzy
>
> you can't tell what the values of foo and bar are.

+1. Otherwise, unless each variable is associated with an unambiguous
regex it's impossible to go from URI->template

- James