Re: [dix] on the dix: URI scheme for DIX/SXIP

On 20-Mar-06, at 9:42 AM, Tim Bray wrote:

>> Does this make sense? Do you have a suggestion for another
>> approach that provides an escape mechanism and allows
>> decentralized property /capability extension?
>
> In general, naming things with URIs is a good and Web-friendly
> thing to do; as you point out, the use of the authority field
> allows distributed authority over parts of the namespace.  In
> particular, HTTP URIs have a lot of advantages.

Thanks everyone for the feedback on the URI scheme for DIX.
A likely shift in the architecture removes the requirement for the
URI scheme to double as an escape sequence, so we can use HTTP.

A couple examples of what we are doing are:

	http://sxip.net/contact/internet/email
	http://sxip.net/media/image/32x32

> you can put something useful there that a human being can point
> their browser at and learn something about what this string means.

Tim: what would you suggest that we put at that URLs above? An HTML
file that describes it for people? Perhaps some metadata that is
machine readable for typing? Suggestions welcome!

-- Dick