RE: URI components question

> Perhaps better said the question is: can we always build an URI from
> unescaped components ?

	Michele, as you noted in your example and in Jeremy's example we
can't build an equivalent URI from a set of URI components that have had
percent-encoded reserved characters decoded.

> My conclusion is that (at least) query component cannot be unescaped.
> Is this right, does it apply only to query or unescaped components
> should not exist at all ?

	There is no good way to do this for an arbitrary scheme.  When
writing a general URI parsing API you shouldn't decode every
percent-encoded octet in a URI component.

As stated in RFC 3986 if you percent-encode or decode a reserved
character you get a new URI that is not equivalent to the original.
This is true in the query component as well as anywhere else reserved
characters may appear.  If you decode reserved characters in your stored
URI component you have now lost information as to whether that character
was originally percent-encoded or not.  Jeremy's paths from (2) are
great examples.

	Why do you want to decode the URI components?  If your intent is
to extract the underlying data the URI components represent then this
requires much more than just decoding percent-encoded octets.  To do
this you must know more about the scheme, specifically how the scheme
converts its underlying data to and from URI components.  For something
like mailto where it's clear what the underlying data is (email
addresses, subject, body, etc) and where it's clear what the associated
transformations to and from URI components are then you can decode
appropriately and obtain the underlying information.

For the http scheme this is trickier because except for perhaps the
userinfo and host components it's not clear what the underlying data is.
An HTTP server may convert the URI path component into a Unix file path,
or a database query, or it may base64 decode the path and return the
resulting data.  Without specific knowledge of what the URI components
represent you may only rely on the rules set by the RFC.  You could
split the URI as Jeremy suggested in (6) but you would have to split on
all reserved characters, you wouldn't be able to distinguish which are
"syntactically significant" and which are not.

At that point you'd have to decide if such general parsing of URI
components would be useful.  My guess is that in the 99% of cases you
mentioned, having the path split around every reserved character would
be irritating when you want the path to just represent directories in
your file system.

	I think the better way to go about this is to have APIs that
compose and decompose URIs to and from a set of URI components
(appropriately percent-encoded) and to have a separate set of APIs to
convert between URI components and their underlying data for very
specific scenarios (which would handle percent-encoding and decoding).
For example, to get the name, value pairs out of a query URI component
that is using the application/x-www-form-urlencoded
<http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/interact/forms.html#form-content-type>
encoding form, one would first call the hypothetical URI decomposition
API to obtain the query URI component.  Then one would call the
hypothetical getMapFromUrlEncodedQueryComponent function to obtain the
name to value map that is the underlying data.  The second function
would handle decoding the percent-encoded octets since it's the
application/x-www-form-urlencoded encoding that mandated the
percent-encoding in the first place and has the knowledge to
appropriately decode.  Or to convert a file path from your favorite OS
to a path URI component one would first call the
createPathURIComponentFromFilePath function which would among other
things handle percent-encoding characters.  Then one would call the URI
composition API to construct a new URI using the path URI component.

-Dave