Re: http-urls style, trailing slash and webdav

From: Reto Bachmann-Gmür <reto@gmuer.ch>
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2006 21:09:27 +0100
To: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
Cc: uri@w3.org

Julian Reschke schrieb:

> Reto Bachmann-Gmür wrote:
>>> Why wouldn't you always want to point the client to the variant with
>>> trailing slash?
>> According to rfc2518 only collection resources are referenced in the
>> containing collection with a trailing slash. I guess some webdav
>> clients would see only directories.
>
> Yep. I was referring to collections only.
Webdav collections necessarily do, but what's about get-dereferenceable
resource, which are or may become superordinate to others (such as
"myproject" and "documentation of myproject", or "myimage" and
"thumbnail of myimage". In the mail starting this thread [1] I mentioned
why i thought that it would be bad style to end get- dereferenceable
with slash (not as bad as http://ex.org/cgi-bin/foo.pl?artid=9876876 :-).

I my need for uniformity and recommendations exaggerated and should I
respect "slash or not" as a legitimate way of webmaster's
individualization? Do I have to emulate old school index-pages for
webdav access?

reto

1. http://www.w3.org/mid/43D8B8B2.4080005@gmuer.ch