Re: RFC 2822 email addresses in tag URIs

From: Roy T. Fielding <fielding@gbiv.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2005 12:26:24 -0700
Cc: uri@w3.org
To: Frank Ellermann <nobody@xyzzy.claranet.de>

On Oct 14, 2005, at 7:05 AM, Frank Ellermann wrote:

> Oops, of course, I thought that this discussion was about a
> new I-D.  BTW, can I now submit the RfC 3986 appendix D.2
> problems as erratum ?
>
> See also <http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.org.w3c.uri/613>.

No, it isn't an error.  You are not supposed to use the terms
in appendix D for new specifications.  They are merely for
forward (URI-compliant) interpretation of old pre-3986 specs
and thus are intentionally conservative to avoid the creation
of bad URIs.

> It's all related, I need the opposite of the former <uric>,
> because that's the subset of characters where %-encoding is
> required for any URI scheme, and Message-IDs in news are in
> the same vein as tags or UUIDs.

Why don't you simply use the current rules in the body of 3986?
Just ignore appendix D for new specifications. This confusion is
why I didn't want to include it in the first place.

....Roy