Re: info scheme

On Nov 15, 2005, at 2:41 PM, Ray Denenberg, Library of Congress wrote:
> https://datatracker.ietf.org/public/pidtracker.cgi?
> command=view_id&dTag=10863&rfc_flag=0
>
> Says:
>
> "2005-11-03  IESG has approved and state has been changed to
> 'Approved-"
>
> I'm not real good at understanding the procedures here, so let me ask
> this
> simple question:
> Does this mean that 'info:' is now an approved URI scheme?

I think so... it's approved for publication as Informational RFC.

I see an announcement dated 03 Nov 2005

http://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/ietf-announce/current/
msg01746.html

I thought URI schemes had to be standards-track... but 3.2 The IETF Tree
of http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2717.txt seems to say that the IESG can
approve a scheme by agreeing to publish an informational RFC.

I can't tell if the new guidelines introduces new subtleties or not.
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-hansen-2717bis-2718bis-uri-
guidelines-06.txt

> If so, when (roughly) might
> http://www.iana.org/assignments/uri-schemes be
> updated to reflect this?

I don't know; the page isn't signed (in the sense
of http://www.w3.org/Provider/Style/SignIt )and doesn't say what the
update
latency is. A week or two would seem to be pretty ordinary. I guess
it's been
about two weeks now.

Interestingly, the last update seems to be 3 Nov.

By chopping off the URI, I can get to http://www.ietf.org/ and
I get this clue, for what it's worth...
   "Please send comments on this web site to: webmaster@iana.org"