Re: Status of ftp:///?

From: Paul Hoffman <phoffman@imc.org>
Date: Mon, 16 May 2005 08:13:14 -0700
To: Frank Ellermann <nobody@xyzzy.claranet.de>, uri@w3.org

At 5:33 AM +0200 5/16/05, Frank Ellermann wrote:
>  From my POV "news / nntp" is almost ready, do you have an XML
>source to add the missing details posted here ?

Sent off-line.

>   Otherwise I
>could try to reconstruct it from your last I-D plus the texts
>posted here by Charles and me.

Hint: documents that use "<" and ">" liberally are hard to covert to XML. :-)

>For "file" I'm a bit lost, I thought that your last I-D is
>essentially okay, and just _not_ adding controversional points
>eliminates all potential problems.

Others did not think it was OK, and there was no consistent theme to
individual disagreements. I'm happy to add nothing considered
controversial, but I doubt many people here would support that.

Basically, I volunteered to do a minor secretarial job, and am not
interested in trying to shepherd consensus on the thorny issues that
have appeared.

>Something I see only now:  There are no "IANA considerations"
>to update their URI registry in your I-Ds.  Too late for wais,
>prospero, and telnet, but maybe you could add it to gopher and
>ftp when you add the "empty host" clause.

There's no need for an IANA considerations section for these
documents, I believe. They are re-stating what is already in the IANA
registry.

>I hope that "taobis" doesn't belong to your list of "abandoned
>I-Ds", I like it.

Not abandoned, but we get almost no input to it. We're just waiting
for the IETF restructuring to settle down and we'll do another
revision.

--Paul Hoffman, Director
--Internet Mail Consortium