Re: Status of ftp:///?

From: Frank Ellermann <nobody@xyzzy.claranet.de>
Date: Mon, 16 May 2005 05:33:28 +0200
To: uri@w3.org

Paul Hoffman wrote:

> I don't think it is a "work in progress" for either file: or
> nntp:. I publicly abandoned those two due to my perception
> that it was impossible to get consensus on them

 From my POV "news / nntp" is almost ready, do you have an XML
source to add the missing details posted here ?  Otherwise I
could try to reconstruct it from your last I-D plus the texts
posted here by Charles and me.

For "file" I'm a bit lost, I thought that your last I-D is
essentially okay, and just _not_ adding controversional points
eliminates all potential problems.

Something I see only now:  There are no "IANA considerations"
to update their URI registry in your I-Ds.  Too late for wais,
prospero, and telnet, but maybe you could add it to gopher and
ftp when you add the "empty host" clause.

> I don't know who (if anyone) is actively working on them.

Charles posted some stuff about nntp some weeks ago here:

The ?part=1.2 in this URL demonstrates one of the points for
the "news" scheme, but it's also available with "http":

<http://article.gmane.org/gmane.ietf.nntp:2687:raw>

I hope that "taobis" doesn't belong to your list of "abandoned
I-Ds", I like it.
                     Bye, Frank