Re: mailto URIs

At 4:21 PM -0700 6/17/05, Larry Masinter wrote:
>I'm puzzled about whether the full 'address' or 'mailbox'
>specification is actually implemented, or whether the
>actual URI use is limited to RFC2822's  'addr-spec'.

I have seen 'mailbox' be implemented, very badly. I have never seen
anyone blow 'addr-spec'.

>I'm thinking that the right thing to do is to include the
>full ABNF for whatever it is that "mailto" actually accepts,
>and then describe the mapping to/from RFC 2822 addresses,
>rather than leave a vague reference to 2822.

Imagine the URL quoting problems to properly do 'mailbox'. Really. I
simply can't imagine that many people would do it correctly, even
after a few tries. And I can imagine that they could do it very
insecurely if we expand the definition.

--Paul Hoffman, Director
--Internet Mail Consortium