URI scheme approval: status?

From: Weibel,Stu <weibel@oclc.org>
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2005 14:47:13 -0500
To: <uri@w3.org>

In a recent announcement on the IETF-Announce mailing list, the tag URI
scheme was announced as having been approved.  The announcement included
the following note:

>Protocol Quality
>
>At the 2004URI BoF discussion on the appropriate registration mechanism

>for URIs came to consensus on a shift to a pure registration model,
>since attempts to discourage minting of new schemes has not resulted in

>fewer URI schemes, only in a larger number of unregistered ones.
>In the absence of a new registration document, new schemes which have
>been proposed as internet-drafts are being processed with limited
review.

Can someone in the loop comment on this?  It sounds to me as though at
least the spirit of the Hansen 2717/18 draft is being operationalized in
advance of its approval.

I don't think this is a bad idea - indeed, I had thought about
suggesting bumping this ID to the head of the queue, in as much as so
many other activities depend on it.  How will it change once 2717/18 is
approved?

It would be good to have the situation clarified by those who are
administering the process.

Thanks

stu

Stuart Weibel