RE: New URI registration draft; significant changed

From: Larry Masinter <LMM@acm.org>
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2005 22:51:54 -0800
To: "'Dave McAlpin'" <Dave.McAlpin@epok.net>
Cc: uri@w3.org

> 3987, though, gives the scheme designer certain options like
  ... <clip>...
> Most of these don't relate directly to the URI scheme definition, but
> they have to appear somewhere. What about an "IRI Considerations" section
> as a standard part of scheme definition?

I'd rather be more explicit in the section 2.5 considerations
than make the form longer. I'm thinking of expanding

   "URI scheme definitions SHOULD be compatible with that specification."

to something like

   "URI scheme definitions SHOULD be compatible with RFC 3987, and,
   if URIs of the scheme contain any text fields, the scheme definition
   MUST describe the ways in which characters are encoded and any
   compatibility issues with Internationalized Resource Identifiers
   of the scheme."

Well, something like that....

Larry
--